Banner Ad
Atty. Estrich
P.O. Box 1355 Saugus, MA 01906     
Main Menu
Log In
Saugus Weather
Fun & Interesting Stuff
Business Directory
Classified Ads
Saugus Real Estate
Calendar of Events
Civic Organizations
Clubs & Groups
Elder Services
Emergency Numbers
Houses of Worship
Parks & Recreation
Saugus Pets Pages
Saugus Post Office
Saugus Public Library
Saugus Schools
Saugus Sports
Upcoming Events
Saugus Military Families Comedy Night Fundraiser
October 15, 2015 (6:30 pm)

SHS Class of 1970 Reunion Celebration
October 17, 2015 (7:00 pm)

Fall Curbside Leaf Pick-up
October 19, 2015 (7:00 am)

Fall Curbside Leaf Pick-up
October 20, 2015 (7:00 am)

Fall Curbside Leaf Pick-up
October 21, 2015 (7:00 am)

Fall Curbside Leaf Pick-up
October 22, 2015 (7:00 am)

Saugus Bicentennial Contest - Awards Ceremony
October 23, 2015 (7:00 pm)

Fall Curbside Leaf Pick-up
November 16, 2015 (7:00 am)

Fall Curbside Leaf Pick-up
November 17, 2015 (7:00 am)

View Full Calendar
September 2015 October 2015 November 2015
Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa
Week 40 1 2 3
Week 41 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Week 42 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
Week 43 18 19 20 21 22 23 24
Week 44 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

Saugus Historical Society
Our "home" (pictured above) is located at 30 Main Street, Saugus Center.

Saugus Historical Society
30 Main Street
P.O. Box 1209
Saugus,  MA   01906-1209 
For information, please call
(781) 233 - 7232 and leave a message.

Saugus Historical Society President, Laura Eisener   (781) 231 - 5988

The purpose of the Saugus Historical Society is to cultivate an interest in the history of the
 town and to collect and preserve all matter pertaining to the town’s
history and citizenry. 
The organization was begun in 1928.

Meetings are held 6 times per year on the second Wednesday of the month
in March, April, May, September, October,
and November.

Gathering time is 6:00 to 7:00 pm    -    Meeting starts at 7:00 pm

Light refreshments will be served and treats are always appreciated.
Visitors are always welcome. 

A business meeting and refreshments precede the main program.  
The main program
typically includes a speaker and often a slide-show. 
Members, their guests, and the
general public are invited to attend.
There is no charge.


Happy 200th Anniversary, Saugus!

By Laura Eisner, President
Saugus Historical Society

2015 is a year of special significance to our town. 
On February 17 in 1815, we officially became a town separate from Lynn.

In 1629, the area then known as Saugus was founded.  The name Saugus was the
Native American name for the area.  It was a large territory which included what we
now call Lynn, Reading, Swampscott, Nahant, Wakefield, and Lynnfield.  A few years
later, the name was changed to Lynn, after a town in England. As more settlers came
in, clusters of residents and businesses developed in different parts of the town.

In its heyday, Saugus ironworks was often known as the Ironworks at Lynn, since
that was the accepted name of the town during most of the 17th and 18th century.

The town center, and the church which people were required to support, was near
what we now consider Central Square in Lynn.  Those who lived far away did not
find it convenient to walk or ride their horses to the center, so as populations increased
they began to talk of setting up separate church districts, or parishes, and eventually
to separating into different towns.  By the 1730’s, people living near what we now call
Saugus Center successfully petitioned to form a separate parish, which was known as
Second Parish or West Parish, since it was west of the town center.  This meant they
could erect their own local church so they would not have to travel so far each week.
They still had to travel to town hall in Lynn for meetings regarding government of the
town, and taxes were paid to Lynn.

Not surprisingly, the farther away from town center people were, the more quickly they
became discontented with the travel distance. Reading was the first town to officially
split from Lynn - it did so in 1644. For over 100 years there were no further separations
but by the 19th century there were several communities at some distance from Lynn’s
seat of government, and more new towns were proposed.   The 19th century saw many
widespread towns split up.   Lynnfield was incorporated February 28, 1814, and Saugus
followed almost a year later, to be officially recognized as a separate town on February
17, 1815.  A few decades later Swampscott and Nahant also became separate towns.

In 1814 and 1815the War of 1812 was still raging, but it was more local concerns that
prompted the petition by Saugus residents to become a separate town.  10 years had
passed since the opening of the Newburyport Turnpike (our Route 1), and so far people
were still complaining about the amount of money the turnpike had cost the state. 
While the new road may have facilitated travel north and south, it did nothing to help
the citizens who lived near it get to Town Meeting in Lynn, to the east, or to travel to the
western part of the state.

When Saugonians put forth the petition in 1814 to become a separate town, Saugus
was not the first name they thought of.  The petition asked  the state senate and
legislature that the new town be set off from Lynn  "with all rights and privileges
accorded to towns in the Commonwealth,  by the name of Westport, if that shall seem
to Your Honors right and  expedient….“   Presumably the name occurred to them
because the second parish was also sometimes referred to as West Parish.  
Sometime between 1814 and early 1815 however, they decided to reuse the name
Native American name Saugus which had been Lynn’s name before 1637.

The signers of the 1814 petition were William Jackson, Daniel S. Oliver, Peter Davis, 
Thomas Mansfield,  Thomas Mansfield Jr., Robert Ames, Richard Mansfield,
Nathaniel Tarbell, John Southwick, Benjamin Wilson, James Johnson, Abijah Hawkes,
William Hawks, Ebenezer Hawks, John Raddin, Nathan Hawks, Abner Cheever,
John Felch, Henry Cheever, William Sweetser Jr., John Butts, Joseph Danforth,
Jacob Newhall, and J.I Newhall, Ebenezer Bancroft, Jonathan Makepeace,
Thomas Raddin, and James Oliver.  These men were already active in the town,
and several would continue to be involved in the government of the new town of Saugus.

Thomas Mansfield Sr., Jacob Newhall, and Jonathan Makepeace were all on the new
school committee.  Richard Mansfield became the first Town Clerk, and along with
Jonathan Makepeace and Alijah Hawkes served as Overseer of the Poor.  Major
Jonathan Makepeace, who ran an important snuff company in Saugus, was also the
Sealer of Weights and Measures.  John Felch and Thomas Mansfield were both Hog Reeves,
and William Sweetser was a Constable. Benjamin Wilson was one of 3 Surveyors of the
Highway.  Ebenezer Bancroft, Ebenezer Hawks, and John Raddin were Fence Viewers. 
Many of these men had ancestors who were early settlers in the town, but at least one,
William Jackson, was a fairly new resident who only arrived in Saugus in 1808. 
Jackson Street was named for him.  William Sweetser Jr. was another man who was
involved in the snuff business which was a major industry in Saugus at this time.

For many years, Cliftondale was known as Sweetser’s Corner, and there was an
elementary school known as the Sweetser School to honor the family.

Makepeace Street in the Pleasant Hills area near Saugus Center was named for
Major Makepeace.  Danforth Ave. and Raddin Terrace are both in the Pleasant Hills
area as well.  Many Newhall’s lived in Saugus and Lynn through the years, and they
are remembered with Newhall Street in East Saugus and Newhall Avenue which loops
around Saugus Commons off Main Street.

The town grew considerably in the next 100 years.  The Newburyport Turnpike had
become an established transportation route bringing more people through Saugus
regularly.   By 1915, the population was larger and much more diverse, and the
townspeople were ready to celebrate their centennial in style.  Since February in New
England is apt to be cold and snowy, outdoor celebrations were scheduled for later in
the year when the weather could be expected to be more pleasant. 
The 100th anniversary plans in 1915 included 3 days of events (July 3, 4, 5), which were
eventually stretched out because rain caused postponement of some of them.  A special
pageant was performed depicting key moments in Saugus’ history up to 1915. This
pageant involved many leading citizens in costume representing historic local figures,
choirs singing appropriate songs for each scene, and dancers of all ages displaying
traditional dances from the many ethnic groups that contributed to our population.  There
was a parade, and the whole town took part in celebrating and taking pride in our town.

Horace Atherton wrote a book that year to commemorate the anniversary -
The History of Saugus” which still is a rich source of information about our town’s past.
Despite the World War going on in 1915, people managed to muster enough enthusiasm
to celebrate that milestone year.

2015 presents us with a wonderful opportunity to come together as a community and
do the same.   Despite a bit of turmoil in the current town government and the many
demands being made on our time, it would do us some good to come together to
remember Saugus’ long history and to enjoy the fact that for however long we are here,
we are part of it.

Whether you grew up in Saugus or moved here recently, Saugus is your home town now!
Those of us who make our homes here, whether we expect to  move on to another place
shortly or expect to spend the rest of our  lives here, it is our hometown in this
anniversary year - so let’s all do something to make it memorable.  Saugus is truly
someplace special.    Let’s feel happy that we’re here, and all add our voices to the
cheers for Saugus’ 200th!


Saugus archives available for research
The Saugus Historical Society's collection of documents,
photographs, books,
postcards, newspapers, and artifacts have been carefully indexed and preserved
over the past eight years by Fred Brooks.
They may all be utilized for research purposes dealing with the history of Saugus.
Please call the Historical Society (781) 233-7232 for an appointment.

< Prev   Next >

Diane Savary, MFS
Sport League Tile
Domenico Painting biz

Vacation Condo B
Sport League Tile
Domenico Painting biz
Who's Online
We have 801 guests online

Yard Sales
Domenico Painting biz
Janet Greene
Monarch Realty Company2

If you don't have all the things you want,
be grateful for all the things you don't have that you don't want. Copyright © 2006 - 2014 Silver Linings Group, LLC